North Korea (officially the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea or DPRK) famous for nothing but bad stuff in the western media, ruled by the supreme leader Kim Jong-Un and often called the strangest country on earth but still ridiculously easy to visit despite what western media says.
Important Travel Facts About North Korea.
- Visa can only be organised either as part of a group or individual tour.
- Applying for visa in China takes about 24hours.
- There´s NO ATM´s in North Korea, bring USD.
Fast Facts about North Korea.
- Capital: Pyongyang.
- Population: Approximately 25 million.
- Language: Korean.
- Currency: North Korean won but foreigners are not allowed to use it bring USD.
Travel Tips About North Korea.
- It´s A LOT cheaper to visit North Korea trough a Chinese travel company then European/western company´s.
- Only drink bottled water!
- Bring some extra snacks from China, only very basic snack available in North Korea.
- 220V, 60Hz (European plug) It´s possible to recharge your electronics in the hotel.
Food to Try.
Like in South Korea, is every meal served with cabbage-based kimchi, The North Korean, Kimchi was a lot spicier than the KimchiIi got served across the border in South Korea.
Dog is also pretty common to eat in North Korea, I did have it myself.
They don’t actually say that your eating Dog in North Korea, they are saying your having “Sweat meat”. As a tourist will you most likely get it served in a soup.
There’s no shame in eating it in dog for the locals in North Korea.
- Do not use your hands to pick the foods.
- Do not hold the rice bowl or soup bowl in your hand during the meal.
- Do not leave the table while eating.
- Chew your food with your closed mouth and do not make noises while chewing.
- Do not reach across the table for distant food- ask a nearby person to pass it to you.