North Korea Travel Guide.
North Korea (officially the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea or DPRK) famous for nothing but bad stuff in the western media, ruled by the supreme leader Kim Jong-Un and often called the strangest country on earth but still ridiculously easy to visit despite what western media says.
Important Travel Facts About North Korea.
- Visa can only be organised either as part of a group or individual tour.
- Applying for visa in China takes about 24hours.
- There´s NO ATM´s in North Korea, bring USD.
Fast Facts about North Korea.
- Capital: Pyongyang.
- Population: Approximately 25 million.
- Language: Korean.
- Currency: North Korean won but foreigners are not allowed to use it bring USD.
Travel Tips About North Korea.
- It´s A LOT cheaper to visit North Korea trough a Chinese travel company then European/western company´s.
- Only drink bottled water!
- Bring some extra snacks from China, only very basic snack available in North Korea.
- 220V, 60Hz (European plug) It´s possible to recharge your electronics in the hotel.
Food to Try.
Like in South Korea, is every meal served with cabbage-based kimchi, The North Korean, Kimchi was a lot spicier than the KimchiIi got served across the border in South Korea.
Dog is also pretty common to eat in North Korea, I did have it myself.
They don’t actually say that your eating Dog in North Korea, they are saying your having “Sweat meat”. As a tourist will you most likely get it served in a soup.
There’s no shame in eating it in dog for the locals in North Korea.
- Do not use your hands to pick the foods.
- Do not hold the rice bowl or soup bowl in your hand during the meal.
- Do not leave the table while eating.
- Chew your food with your closed mouth and do not make noises while chewing.
- Do not reach across the table for distant food- ask a nearby person to pass it to you.