Last Updated on
I have already mentioned in “What to pack for longer backpacking trips” what you should carry with you on longer trips, so this post will cover what you will need while travelling around Europe.
First of all, you should carry much less luggage when travelling in Europe compared to Asia/Africa and South America.
Yes, some countries are colder than others, and I’m not trying to make you freeze your ass off! The reason is simple.. budget!
There are more than 20 low-cost airlines in Europe, and all of them charge an extra fee if you want to check in your luggage.
The price ranges from 15 to 75+ euro per. A bag you check-in! So if you can manage with just a small backpack/carry-on, you save a ton of money.
I travelled Norway – Portugal – Spain – Ireland – Norway with only hand luggage a while back, and all four flights, combined, only cost me 60 euros. Compare this to the 240 euros it would have cost me by checking in my luggage; it’s clear to see how much this can help your budget.
As I always say, “Travel Light!”
What to Pack for a Europe trip.
On my Europe trips, I use and recommend my Jack Wolfskin crosswind 26.
Good quality, nice and light backpack I can count on (..unlike my former piece-of-shit-bag, Osprey!)
This is what I carried in my backpack on my latest 3 week trip around Europe:
– One pair of Trousers
– Two pairs of normal shorts
– One pair of swimming shorts
– Four shirts
– One sweater
– One Jacket
– Five pairs of underwear
– Two pairs of socks
– One Towel
– Ear Plugs! – It’s A Must! (Read: 10 Important Things That I Learned…..)
– One pair of shoes – Salomon speed cross three GTX. Great shoes for CityWalk and hiking.
– One pair of flip-flops – Some cheap one I bought in Taiwan.
– One Belt
– A Silk Sleeping bag
– Laundry Bag – To keep the dirt and smelly clothes separated from the clean ones.
– Headlamp – This very useful when you sleep in dorms, so you don’t need to turn on the light and wake up the whole room just to find out your stuff or read something.
That’s all you need!
Like it? Share it! Pin it!